This is my 2011 Christmas project for my 40 surrogate children. I don't have them finished but will add as I get steps figured out.
In the beginning I make a circle for the heads. This sorta gives you the size you want for the whole little guy. Then I make the body separately in one piece. I started at the top of the body with a chain the length equal to the width of the shoulders. Crochet for 3 or 4 rows to make the arms, then decrease to the size of the waist and on down. For girls increase a little to make a flair for the skirt and for the boys just keep going, separating for the legs. Then decrease to make the feet.
This makes no sense to me even so I'm going to try to add pictures.
Last of all, I made 80 of these things so I'd have two to sew together. Actually I put a paper backed sponge lining to give them a little depth. Then I just whip stitched the three pieces together. By making the sponge lining all one piece, it makes the separate head and body a little more substantial.
Oh, my goodness, please ask questions....I need some guidance in explaining this.