Sunday, January 9, 2011

baby doll

I am so excited.  From one of the yahoo crochet groups, Maggie and MacTaggart told me where to find a pattern for a baby doll face.  So I bought this adorable pattern from Kathleen Early.   [http://www.kathleenearly.com/]  She makes the patterns and the dolls are exquisite.  I was warned that her instructions were a little unconventional.  Well, imagine this!!  I can actually read them and follow them!!  I can't believe it.  I sat up literally all night long last night making the body.  It is so cute.  I can't wait to get the baby done and put together.  The one I'm doing just for practice is out of #10 thread and is going to be about 6 or 7 inches long.  I am planning to make three of these babies [slightly larger] for my three great granddaughters for Christmas this year.....with  a full layette for each, of course.  And then I'll have to make a little boy doll for the great grandson, of course.  Oh, I'm going to have so much fun doing this I can't wait to get started.  Does anybody know where I can buy flesh colored #3 crochet thread?  The pattern calls for yarn and is then about 18 inches long but that is too big for my little girls who will be only 1, 2 and 3 by next Christmas..

February 4, 2011
Well, I finally found some yarn that will do. It is, however, so small that I'm using two threads together. By using a D hook I think I've found the size I wanted. First I couldn't wait to get the heads started. Ugh. Don't really like them at all. I'm sure it is my inability to follow a pattern, not the pattern itself as her pictures are so cute....mine not so cute. So I put them away for awhile.

Incidentally I'm making two of the dolls at the same time since they go to sisters. The little boy I'm going to try to make a little older and possibly a sailor boy since his grandfather was in the USN. And the fourth doll goes to a cousin so doesn't have to be exact.

So the other evening I made two right legs. They turned out just about right after adjusting the little feet and toes just slightly. I think that is why I can't follow a pattern....I think too much while I'm going along. Certainly don't know a cure for that. I'll try to get some photos in here ASAP. And yes, I am having waaay toooo much fun with this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers